Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Love: Action Statements

Here's an excerpt I just read from "The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges (from page 38 in the book). He is talking about how love is to be the primary character trait of Christians, and how it is an easy concept to agree with, but sometimes hard to put into practice. So he took the first 2 verses from 1 Corinthians 13 (the "love chapter") and turned them into action statements. I thought these were pretty great and something I was definitely challenged by. Enjoy!

  • I am patient with you because I love you and want to forgive you.
  • I am kind to you because I love you and want to help you.
  • I do not envy your possessions or your gifts because I love you and want you to have the best.
  • I do not boast about my attainments because I love you and want to hear about yours.
  • I am not proud because I love you and want to esteem you before myself.
  • I am not rude because I love you and care about your feelings.
  • I am not self-seeking because I love you and want to meet your needs.
  • I am not easily angered by you because I love you and want to overlook your offenses.
  • I do not keep a record of your wrongs because I love you, and "love covers a multitude of sins."

No comments: