Thursday, February 28, 2008

Look Out!

We've been having BEAUTIFUL weather out here for the last few days, so Stephen and I have been taking advantage of the nice weather and spending some time outdoors.  This week we played a little soccer, went for a walk, and also broke out one of our Christmas presents...racquetball gear!  Now, I realize racquetball is an indoor sport, but we take a little walk outside to get to our apartment's court.  And I think racquetball is so fun, that I want to write about that rather than focusing on the GREAT weather that I'm absolutely loving. 

Now it should be known that Stephen has a good bit of experience playing racquetball from back in the day when he and his dad would play together.  I, on the other hand, have now played racquetball a total of two times.  I remember going to the YMCA when I was a little kid and watching my dad play racquetball.  Then in college we had a ton of courts at the Rec Center, and I always saw people in there crashing into walls, working up a serious sweat, and having a blast. I was always secretly jealous of them because I thought it would be so much fun to play.

Well, I've discovered that for me it IS fun...as long as you have the ability to laugh at yourself each time you swing with all your might at this little blue ball flying at you from all directions after bouncing off every possible surface, only to completely whiff and miss the ball.  And also if you swing and completely come short of hitting the ball because you're too scared you're going to crash into a wall or hit the wall with your racquet.  And ending games with scores of 15 to 1.  As long as you can just laugh about all that, you're gonna love it.  :-)

Well, maybe it just takes a few times to get the hang of the game.  At least my wonderful husband laughs with me (or probably at me) and doesn't get too frustrated with my lack of hand-eye coordination.  According to him, I'm getting better, especially if I keep my eyes open when I swing.  Right...  But I'm not giving up yet!  One day I will actually swing and hit the ball.  More than three times in a game! 

No comments: