Thursday, February 21, 2008

We Love San Diego!

For my birthday and Valentine's day, Stephen took me on a trip down to San Diego for a long weekend.  It was WONDERFUL!!!  I officially love San Diego.  Something about being close to the water and sail boats and fun little beach towns just gets to me.  Unfortunately Stephen pretty much hates the beach.  Mostly it's the sand and sun that he doesn't like, but being the wonderful husband that he is, he endured it all with minimal complaining.  See: Plus I think it helped that he had a dinner at this amazing establishment to look forward to:  (if you can't tell, it's Ruth's Chris Steakhouse...AMAZING!)  Definitely the best steak I have ever had.  And it was a wonderful dinner with my husband.  He sure does treat me well!
Some of the things we did while we were in San Diego:

Went to the San Diego Zoo!!!  It was pretty impressive.  We spent almost an entire day there.  I was definitely reminded of God's creativity in all the different, and sometimes very strange looking, animals.  Incredible colors, weird features, all with a purpose.  It goes to show God's infinite wisdom, knowledge, and creativity!
Coronado Island.  You drive on this awesome, crazy high bridge over the ocean to get to the island.  It was quaint, very well kept, and had the best beaches I've seen in California so far.  I'd love to stay here one day (at the Hotel del Coronado, right on the beach!)!
The helicopter you see in the sky is actually a CH-47 Chinook.  It's a military helicopter that looks like this up close:
San Diego and Coronado Island are home to many members of the United States Navy, as well as a huge Navy base (or many bases...they were everywhere!)  It was pretty interesting.  Our hotel was right down the road from the Anti-Submarine Warfare Base.  Stephen thought that was pretty cool.  And we got to walk along the ports and see some awesome ships like:
The U.S.S. Midway
And this VERY old pirate ship!
And lastly, we went to La Jolla, which is a town about 10 miles north of downtown San Diego.  Based on the great recommendation of my mom, who was out here last year with my dad, we knew this was one stop we had to make.  It has a pretty incredible coastline with a great walking path all along it.  Here's one of many pics we took during our walk.  And we also got to see a bunch of sea lions sunbathing on the beaches!
Oh, and we can't forget Stephen's impromptu camera appearance!  While walking by the shops in La Jolla, this lady approached us doing "market research" and asked for Stephen, being the technically savvy consumer that he is, to give an interview.  He did a fantastic job and I stood in the background taking pictures :-)
Well, that's pretty much it for our trip.  I loved it!  Even though it's only been about six months since our wedding, it felt like we were on a second honeymoon.  Or maybe I'm just really in love with my husband and love getting to go away and spend some undivided time with him.  Either way, it was a great!  Thanks for the trip, my love!

No comments: