Saturday, January 1, 2011

Jan 1: Thankful

Happy New Year's Day!

Tonight, on the first day of 2011, I am thankful. 

Sure, there's plenty of New Year's resolutions that could be made and plenty I'd like to change or work on in the next year - the list of housework I'd hoped to accomplish today alone could be at the top.


But tonight I choose to just be thankful. 

Stephen, Caleb and I are having a somewhat unplanned getaway tonight. We're spending the night in a nice hotel room, which we didn't have to pay for (thanks for your hotel points Big Frank!), getting ready for Stephen to preach in the morning. 


The church Stephen is preaching at is a little farther away than we wanted to drive tomorrow morning, and so we came up with a semi-last minute decision to get a hotel room close to the church (thanks again Frank!).


So after a yummy dinner out (paid for with gift cards from family - thanks!), we're settled into our room and winding down for the evening. Stephen is reviewing his sermon at the desk, Caleb has been chattering away for the last hour in his crib (he was supposed to go to sleep...), and I'm sitting in the big chair with my feet up on the ottoman sipping chamomile tea, thanking God for unexpected blessings and time with my sweet family.


I can't think of a better start to the new year.


Thank you, Lord, for unexpected blessings. There are many tonight without a soft place to rest their heads, or a family to hold close. You have given us both, and we are thankful. Thank you for this special time together as a family. Be with those who are without, and remind us all that only in You is found the ultimate peace and comfort that no material thing or person can satisfy.


"I will extol You, my God, O King, and I will bless Your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless You, and I will praise Your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable."    
Psalm 145:1-3

No comments: